Saturday, June 22, 2013

Goodbye, Maybellene

Dear Maybellene,
We're through. It's over. I've moved on. Yes, enough is enough and I'm calling this whole thing off. We've been together for 15 months and I'm finally sick and tired enough of all of this to just end things.

No, I'm not going to get into the specifics of why. We're just not right for each other at this point in our lives. Maybe we used to be, but that was then and things have changed.

I felt like no matter how much I gave to our relationship, you just demanded more. When your MPG bottoms out at an average 20 mpg, can't you see why I can't justify putting any more gas into this relationship? I even gave you a new set of tires for our 6 month anniversary, but you were burning through those as much as the old ones. I had just had enough of your stupid sunroof that always got jammed when I tried to open it, and your low clearance was a endless embarrassment whenever you scraped your undercarriage on a parking curb. Now look what you've done: you got me going into specifics.

Oh, who am I kidding, Maybellene? I miss you already. I miss your raunchy red leather seats, I miss your rebellious, impractical teenage attitude. I toss and turn at night, thinking about someone else's hands lovingly embracing your leather-wrapped steering wheel. I'm deathly afraid that some spoiled brat girl has you now and is foolishly ignoring the true potential of your V6 engine.

But I know it's for the best, girl. I'm sure we won't meet again, and maybe one day I'll find another wildly quixotic car like you. At the very least, though, we have the memories we've shared and those, I'll never forget. Goodbye, Maybellene.


Maybellene, the 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GT Limited

1 comment:

  1. I will be forever grateful for the 30 seconds of fame and notoriety she gave me during our joyride down the streets of Saint Louis. Farewell, the libertine and fresh and clean Maybellene.

    ReplyDelete